50 Questions Every Arts Board Should Ask
Michael M. Kaiser
Brandeis University Press
Mon, 18 Jun 2018 12:55:09 -0500
• LIFE CYCLE
• How Does a Successful Arts Organization Function?
• How Does an Arts Organization Evolve?
• Has Our Board Matured with Our Organization?
• BOARD AND MISSION
• Why Do We Need a Mission Statement? What Constitutes a Good Mission Statement?
• How Should We Develop a Mission Statement?
• Do Our Board Meetings Reflect Our Mission?
• BOARD GOVERNANCE
• What Are the Major Responsibilities of the Board?
• How Many People Should Serve on Our Board?
• What Are the Best Leadership Structures? What Kind of Board Leadership Do We Need?
• Do We Need Board or Staff Diversity?
• Do We Need Board Members with Specific Skills? Should We Have Other Not-for-Profit Executives on Our Board?
• Where Do We Find New Board Members? How Should New Members Be Added?
• Should We Have a “Give-or-Get” Policy?
• Do We Need Term Limits?
• What is the Function of a Governance Committee or Nominating Committee?
• How Do We Fire Unproductive Board Members?
• Apart from a Governance Committee, What Other Committees Do We Need?
• Should the Artistic Director and Executive Director Serve on the Board?
• BOARD AND FUNDRAISING
• Are We Relying Too Heavily on Contributed Revenue?
• How Do We Attract Corporate Contributions? Foundation Contributions? Individual Contributions?
• How Do We Maximize the Results of Our Annual Gala?
• How Do We Evaluate a Fundraising Plan?
• Are Board Members Responsible for Fundraising? How Do We Get Board Members to Raise Money?
• Are We Embarrassed about Our Organization?
• Are We Ready to Mount a Capital Campaign? How Do We Pursue This Campaign?
• BOARD AND MARKETING
• How Do We Evaluate a Marketing Plan?
• How Do We Get a Diverse Audience? A Younger Audience?
• Are Our Ticket Prices Appropriate?
• Why Are Subscription Sales So Much Lower Than in the Past?
• Are We Using the Internet Properly?
• Our Theater Is Empty, What Should We Do?
• Our Theater Is Filled, What Should We Do?
• BOARD AND STAFF
• What Should We Think about When We Hire an Artistic Director or an Executive Director?
• Should We Hire from the For-Profit Sector?
• Is It Appropriate for Board Members to Do the Work of the Staff If They Are Not Doing It Well?
• How Should the Artistic Director and the Executive Director Relate to Each Other?
• BOARD AND PLANNING/BUDGETING
• How Should We Approach a Strategic Planning Process? How Can We Make Sure the Plan Is Implemented?
• Do We Really Believe the Budget We Just Passed? Where Should We Cut If We Need To?
• Should We Build a New Facility?
• What Are the Major Pitfalls of Planning We Should Avoid?
• BOARD IN CRISIS
• Our Organization Is in a Crisis, What Do We Do?
• INTERNATIONAL BOARDS
• Our Organization Is Not in the United States, Does That Make a Difference?
• ARTS ORGANIZATIONS OF COLOR
• Our Organization Is an Institution of Color, Does That Make a Difference?
• SUBSIDIARY BOARDS
• Should We Have a Subsidiary Board? A Volunteer Group?
• BOARD AND PROGRAMMING
• Aren’t All Artists Spendthrifts?
• What Is the Board’s Role in Artistic Planning?
• How Many Years Out Should We Be Planning Our Art?
• Should We Form Joint Ventures?
• Should We Build a Touring Program?
• Do We Need an Education Program?